Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sarah Palin - Annie Oakley Personified

My friend saw a campaign bumper sticker on a car the other day that read: What's-his-name and Palin. Funny, funny stuff. Anyone know where I can get one of those, because good grief, I'm getting so sick of hearing about this woman who isn't even running for president.

I saw yet another picture of her with a gun on the cover of Newsweek. For once, I'd like a woman running for office to actually act like a woman instead of trying to act like a man acting like a woman. News flash! New photos of Sarah Palin's eyes glued to the television set watching football, or of her complaining that her husband nags her all the time to pick up her socks and help with the kids after she gets home from work.

I know, how about a picture of her knitting, cooking, helping with homework, tilling her garden, shopping, working in her office (Oh ya, there was one of her in her office in Alaska, right next to a dead grizzly bear carcass! How fetching! How attractive to other females!)

I mean seriously, how many of you women out there, other than those of us in the military that must do so, how many of you like to shoot semi-automatic weapons for fun? How many of you actually hunt, actually slay wild beasts all by yourselves, with no influence from your husbands, fathers, boyfriends, etc? If you do, I'd love to hear from you, but I would guess the number to be very small. Why? Because it's not in our nature to kill; to destroy. We are genetically the gatherers, not the hunters.

I had a newly married friend some years ago who bought a deer tag and went hunting with her husband, probably because newly married couples are under the delusion that they must do everything together. Thankfully, that doesn't last very long....

Afterwards, she said the thrill of the hunt was fun, but after she shot the deer and saw how it suffered at her expense, she wept and never did it again. I personally can't imagine something I would like to do less. Other that getting my feet scraped. (One of my favorite lines delivered by the cook in Seems Like Old Times, I have no idea what that is but it sounds terrible!)

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not against hunting. My husband does it, much to my chagrin but I love him anyway, despite his deer slayer gene. If it's done humanely it is a good management tool for our forest ecosystems, preventing overpopulation, etc. My problem is what I mentioned in the second paragraph; enough with the guns, enough with the political pandering, the extreme right wing views (Creationism taught in science class? Come on!) Are most women concerned about this on a daily basis?

Didn't McCain put a woman on the ticket to talk about women's issues? Like health care, education, how to manage paying the bills and childcare, making the world a better and safer place for our children? These are issues that matter to women, not the $1000 eye glasses Palin wears that the news articles say make you look more intelligent, even though contacts would do just fine.

Did Hillary Clinton wear glasses while campaigning? No. Did she need to? No, absolutely not.

Up next: Hillary Clinton and her guide to pretend campaigning for Barack. Future political aspirations, anyone?? Is she looking to campaign again in four years??

1 comment:

Christina said...

Mandy told me you started a blog about politics, and I had to check it out! I love your post- it is so true, Palin is like the anti-woman, but oh, well. I read a study that said 75% of the population believe McCain only chose Palin to help him get elected, not because she was qualified. Shouldn't that tell the American NOT to vote for somebody who is that short-sighted? Sometimes I wonder if Americans have any brains at all!