Sunday, September 28, 2008

Book Review - To Kill a Mockingbird

Book Review -
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

She seemed glad to see me when I appeared in the kitchen, and by watching her I began to think there was some skill involved in being a girl. -Scout

I just finished this book for my wonderful book club, and not having read it in years I must say I was happy to return to Maycomb Alabama and dust off and relearn the lessons that were taught in between the inky lines of this great read.

I know this is a popular selection for students to read in high school English classes, and having reread it again, it's so easy to see why. As an aging adult I appreciate its message even more, especially now that I'm a parent and can appreciate Atticus Finch's parenting style, even though mine at times seems to be the opposite reflection of it.

Even with the seriousness of its material, its portrayal of conflict between children and adults, references to sex, and the truth about how African Americans were once treated, although somewhat lightened because it's chronicled through the eyes of a child, I would have no problem allowing a young teen to read it. As was brought up in my book club, we can't sugarcoat the past. We must either learn from it, or repeat it.

I rate it 8 out of 10.
You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb into his skin and walk around in it. -Atticus

No comments: