Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Ultimate Babysitter

Why do parents bring their sick kids to church? Can someone please explain this to me? They keep them home from school, why should church be any different? And I am not talking about the cold they have had for a week or the lingering cough they are nursing. I am talking about the big contagious illnesses. I don’t think I will ever understand it (just like I don’t understand why parents bring babies to movie theaters).

About a month ago my husband and I went in to teach our class of 7-8 year olds. One of them had a bloodshot eye, and I thought to myself, “Wow, his eye is red. I hope it isn’t pink eye. No, it can’t be. Who would bring their kid to church with the HIGHLY contagious pink eye?” He later said something about staying up late that night playing video games so I assumed that was the cause of the red eye.

Well, later in another class I overheard him tell a friend he had pink eye. Ugh! Thanks for the warning. Well, guess what happened? Two days later I woke up with two sore, gooey eyes. One swelled shut the next day. It lasted for over a week and then after it went away I got it again, 2 days later!!! My question is, why bring your child with pink eye to church? Even I know it is extremely contagious and this is coming from someone who had never had it before.

Then this past Sunday one of the kids was telling us about her week and she said, “Well, I was sick Thursday, Friday and Saturday throwing up.” Ahhh! Why are you here?! I don’t know about your families but the stomach flu is considered the modern day plague in my family. Maybe I just don’t understand yet because my child isn’t old enough. Maybe at some point when he gets older I will morph into the woman that brings her very contagious kids to church. I can only hope not!

4 comments:

L said...

Finally, I can say Amen on this blog! I TOTALLY agree, and I think it boils down to simply this - sometimes parents just don't care. They've already had to deal with it, why not share it with all their friends too??

For me, bringing your baby to church with you a week after giving birth follows along the same vein. Why? Stay in bed ladies and keep your itty, bitty baby with you, away from all the germs, which like you just pointed out, are highly prevalent at church.

okbushmans said...

I wish people understood that taking a necessary sick day from your Church services in no way prohibits you from entering Heaven. Is it their absolute devotion? Proving their worthiness by making their kids suffer along with EVERYONE else? I don't get it. Use the valid excuse and STAY HOME!!!

Jen said...

I agree. I understand that people don't want to miss church, but really why subject your illness to everyone else. My dad is very sensitive to getting sick and I remember one Sunday this WHOLE family sitting behind us was caughing up their left lung. Needless to say, our whole row and the entire row a head of us were sick for 2 straight weeks. When one of our kids is sick then one stays home and the other goes, we just alternate. Why can't people do that?

Christina said...

A friend of mine has the philosphy, "I won't get your kids sick, and you don't get mine sick!" (meaning, no sick kids allowed at church!) I totally agree...