Friday, October 31, 2008

Top Fifty Most Popular Mysteries of our Time

How many have you read?


1 The Complete Sherlock Holmes -Arthur Conon Doyle

2 The Maltese falcon - Dashiell Hammett

3 Tales of mystery and imagination - Edgar Allan Poe

4 The daughter of time -Josephine Tey

5 Presumed innocent - Scott Turow

6 The spy who came in from the cold - John le Carre

7 The moonstone - Wilkie Collins

8 The big sleep - Raymond Chandler

9 Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier

10 And then there were none - Agatha Christie

11 Anatomy of a murder - Robert Traver

12 The murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie

13 The long goodbye - Raymond Chandler

14 The postman always rings twice - James M. Cain

15 The godfather - Mario Puzo

16 The silence of the lambs - Thomas Harris

17 A coffin for Dimitrios - Eric Ambler

18 Gaudy night - Dorothy L. Sayers

19 Witness for the prosecution - Agatha Christie

20 The day of the jackal - Frederick Forsyth

21 Farewell, my lovely - Raymond Chandler

22 The thirty-nine steps - John Buchan

23 The name of the rose - Umberto Eco

24 Crime and punishment - Fyodor Dostoevski

25 Eye of the needle - Ken Follett

26 Rumpole of the Bailey - John Mortimer

27 Red dragon - Thomas Harris

28 The nine tailors - Dorothy L. Sayers

29 Fletch - Gregory Mcdonald

30 Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy - John le Carre

31 The thin man - Dashiell Hammett

32 The woman in white - Wilkie Collins

33 Trent's last case - E. C. Bentley

34 Double indemnity - James M. Cain

35 Gorky Park - Martin Cruz Smith

36 Strong poison - Dorothy L. Sayers

37 Dance hall of the dead - Tony Hillerman

38 The hot rock - Donald E. Westlake

39 Red harvest - Dashiell Hammett

40 The circular staircase - Mary Roberts Rinehart

41 Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

42 The firm - John Grisham

43 The Ipcress file - Len Deighton

44 Laura - Vera Caspary

45 I, the jury - Mickey Spillane

46 The laughing policeman - Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo

47 Bank shot - Donald E. Westlake

48 The third man - Graham Greene

49 The killer inside me - Jim Thompson

50 Where are the children? - Mary Higgins Clark

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I have read some the books, there are some really good ones on the list. I would highly recommend the Agatha Christie novels. I love And Then There Were None. It is a great mystery. Also, Witness for the Prosecution by Christie as well. She is such a great writer. I am always trying to figure out the mystery as I read but with her I can never figure it out. I'm happy to see Mary Higgins Clark on the list as well. I really like her books too.

L said...

I personally am a Wilkie Collins fan. I highly recommend The Woman in White. A great gothic romance/mystery set in the 1860's I think.