Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Woods by Harlan Coben - Book Review

The Woods
by Harlen Coben


Although I found his large name on the cover of this book distracting, it was even larger than the title, my first foray into the world of Harlan Coben was more satisfying than I expected. Not exactly a big slice of chocolate cake, but semi-close, more like a plate of garlic mashed potatoes with lots of brown gravy. I definitely felt full at the end. Maybe a little bloated from the unbelievable finish, but full just the same.

The plot centers around Newark NJ County Prosecutor Paul Copeland as he tries to mesh his hidden, painful past with incidences in the present that are beyond his control. It was a fast paced mystery that kept my interest most of the time and flowed without too many jaggedy, unexpected turns. His characters were people-next-door likable, and the lawyerish jargon was kept to a minimum. Not too John Grisham, thank goodness. I never got lost in the words, like I sometimes do in lawyer novels.

The language was moderate, no f bombs dropped here, thankfully.
I would rate this one a 5 out of 10.
Would I read Harlan Coben again? Probably. A good mystery read for October? Absolutely.
Anybody else read any of his other books??

No comments: